On the main road from Pimlico to Chelsea, just by Ranelagh House and Gardens is Jew's Row. It's by Grosvenor Row and not far from the Chelsea Hospital.
Back in the early 18th century, The Chelsea Bun House was situated in Jew's Row. Frequented by Royalty - Georges II and III, as well as Princess Caroline, Lord Ranelagh and Jonathan Swift, it was famous for its Easter Hot Cross Buns as well as the distinctive bun that took its name into history - the Chelsea Bun.
The business survived until 1839, when the Chelsea Bun House was finally demolished. Founded by the Louden family, David Louden eventually sold out to Richard Hand, known as 'Captain Bun'. Richard's wife continued to run the Bun House after his death. From son to son, the business continued until it closed in 1839 when the property reverted to the Crown and all the equipment was auctioned off.
|The Chelsea Bun House.|