2021 : World Bread Awards : Winner - Wales
Welcome to another step-by-step recipe from BreadClub20. Why not drop by our main Facebook page by clicking here.... If you like what you see and enjoy the recipe, we hope you go on to join us by 'Liking' and 'Subscribing'.
I came across this recipe on YouTube, made it and was really disappointed. It was far too sweet...but it had promise.
Back to the lab....well, the Utility Room at least. Blinds down, doors locked and the modifications started.
And that has led to this....success on a plate. Try it, I'm sure you won't be disappointed.
300 gms strong white bread flour
200 gms filtered tepid water
1 tablespoon of Demerara sugar
5 gms crushed sea salt
13 gms softened unsalted butter
1 teaspoons instant active yeast
75 gms dried cranberries
1. Add 300 gms of strong white bread flour into a large bowl.
2. Add the yeast and mix thoroughly.
3. Add the tepid water and the sugar and mix thoroughly.
4. Dimple in the salt and mix thoroughly.
5. Knead the dough for 3 minutes and then add the softened butter.
6. Continue to knead for a further 7 minutes until you have a soft, silky and pliable dough.
If you're using a stand mixer, start on low speed until the butter is added and then continue on medium until the dough comes together.
If you're using a bread machine, chose a quick-start programme (e.g. Pizza) and watch the dough until it is ready and then stop the machine.
7. Shape the dough into a ball and place into a greased bowl. Cover and rest somewhere warm for 50 - 60 minutes until doubled in size.
|Ready for first proof|
9. Evenly spread the cranberries over the surface of the dough.
10. Fold the dough into a parcel, long side into the middle, other long side over it, short side into the middle, other short side over it and then tidy up the parcel.
11. Divide the dough into 4 parts. Take each part, in turn, and shape into a small oblong loaf.
12. Place seam side down on a baking tray, cover and proof somewhere warm for 60 minutes.
13. Dust with flour. Then, cut a slit down the length of each mini-loaf.
14. Pre-heat the oven to 220⁰C and bake for 20 to 25 minutes.
Cool on a rack....these are lovely fresh with butter, or toasted. They will also freeze really well.