Malted Sunflower Seed Loaf
Welcome to another step-by-step recipe from BreadClub20. Why not drop by our main Facebook page by clicking here.... If you like what you see and enjoy the recipe, we hope you go on to join us by 'Liking' and 'Subscribing'.
Malted flour - in the UK, we often refer to this as 'Granary flour' but that's a registered trademark of Rank Hovis©. Elsewhere, and outside of the stable of Rank Hovis© products, it's often referred to as 'Malted Flour'. It's a combination of either wholemeal or strong white flour with added millet seeds, cracked wheat, poppy seeds, oats, golden linseed, brown linseed and malted barley flour.
250 gms strong white bread flour
250 gms malted seeded flour
330 gms tepid water
2 tablespoons of olive or sunflower oil
1 tablespoon of dried milk (or....add 2 tablespoons of liquid milk as part of the total liquid)
1½ teaspoon crushed sea salt
1 tablespoon Demerara sugar (or dark brown sugar)
5 heaped tablespoons sunflower seeds
7 gms instant active yeast
Optional - glaze (milk / water or egg / milk glaze) and poppy seeds
leave the sunflower seeds until Stage 3
1. Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix thoroughly.
2. Tip out onto a un-floured surface and knead until you have a rough dough.
3. Add the sunflower seeds, incorporate thoroughly and continue to knead until you have a soft, smooth dough
4. Tip the dough into a lightly-oiled bowl, cover and leave in a warm place for about an hour or until it has doubled in size.
5. Tip out onto a floured surface.
Now....decide whether you are baking this in a loaf tin or as a freeform boule, batard on a baking sheet.
6. Grease loaf tin(s), baking sheet, etc.
7. Shape the dough accordingly and cover. Return to a warm place and allow to proof for a second time for 45 minutes.
9. If you wish you can glaze the loaf with a milk / water or egg / milk glaze and top with poppy seeds or similar.
10. Slash the dough and then bake for 25 - 30 minutes until golden brown and hollow when tapped on the underneath.
11. Cool on a rack.