Marrakech Seeded Loaf




Welcome to another step-by-step recipe from  BreadClub20. Why not drop by our main Facebook page by clicking here.... If you like what you see and enjoy the recipe, we hope you join us by 'Liking' and 'Subscribing' 

Back in 2017, I bought a loaf from a small shop on the edge of the Jemaa El Fna, the main square in Marrakech. 

It was soft, still warm and sweetened with honey. Inside, it had a sprinkling of sesame, pumpkin and sunflower seeds and the whole loaf was glazed and topped with sesame and poppy. It was delicious. 

I loved it so much, I made notes and vowed to try and bake it for myself when I got home. 

I forgot. 

Yesterday, I was sorting out my travel journals...it looks as though I may well be terminating my other writing interest at www.manc-holidays.co.uk. But, I came across my scribbled notes from that day in October 2017. 

Here's my memory of a wonderful loaf in the fabulous city of Marrakech. 

INGREDIENTS

350 gms strong white bread flour
225 gms warm milk
21 gms clear honey
6 gms crushed sea salt
a mixture of sunflower, pumpkin and sesame seeds....about a tablespoon of each. 
8 gms instant active yeast

Glazing:
beaten egg and milk mixture
some more sesame seeds nd a few poppy seeds

METHOD 

Add the flour to a large bowl and stir in the salt. Then add the honey, milk and yeast and bring together. 

Knead for a few seconds and then incorporate the seeds until thoroughly mixed in. 

Continue kneading until you have a soft and silky dough. 

Turn the dough out into a lightly oiled bowl, cover and leave in a warm place until it has doubled in size.

Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and form into a boule, ensuring you have good surface tension by moving the boule around on the worktop to strengthen the surface of the dough. 



Place the dough on a prepared baking sheet, cover loosely with a towel and leave at room temperature until it has doubled in size. 


Preheat the oven to 190⁰C. 

Eggwash the top of the loaf and sprinkle sesame seeds onto the surface. Make one small sharp cut on the surface of the dough 


and then bake for 30 minutes until it is golden brown and hollow when tapped underneath. 

Cool on a rack. 



And the crumb? 


Happy baking. 






Comments

Popular Posts