The "BIGa" Mistake

Welcome to another recipe from BreadClub20. Why not drop by our main Facebook page by clicking here.... If you like what you see and enjoy the recipe, we hope you go on to join us by 'Liking' and 'Subscribing'.

The moral of this story is, either: "Make sure you get an early night" or "Never despair...there are always surprises around the corner". 

I had intended to make ciabatta. So, the night before, I made the biga. 

I carefully weighed out a little water and mixed it with yeast. Then I added the flour and the water, covered it and left it overnight to activate and rise. 

However, at 5 a.m. I came downstairs and forgot to have a coffee. That always means I'm dozy, to say the least. Where on earth I got the idea from that I was making tangzhong, I really don't know. 

Anyway, I added the biga to a standard mix for tangzhong and then had a 'D'oh!' moment. 


So, what to do? Tip the whole dough into the bin and re-mix? 

No! You never know what might happen. 

Anyway, even in my somnolent state, I realised that this was not going to be a disaster. It was simply replacing a tangzhong starter with a biga and the rest of the ingredients were more or less the same for any loaf. 

Bread is all about magic and mystery. So I baked it. 

And it turned out wonderfully. It was soft, light and tasty. 

So,  what started out as a potential disaster, turned out into a successful recipe that I will be definitely using again. 

I'll explain what I did....

First I prepared the biga:

Preparing the biga

140 gms bread flour

80 gms tepid filtered water (or own-brand still water)

⅛ teaspoon active instant yeast

2 tablespoons warm water

Make the biga the night before you plan to bake

Mix together the yeast with the warm water. Allow it to stand for a few minutes

Stir the yeast mixture into a medium sized bowl. Add the flour and the water and stir until combined. 

Cover with cling-film or a shower cap and leave it at room temperature overnight. It can be left for up to 24 hours. 

Then I prepared the ingredients for the dough:

Preparing the dough

470 gms of strong white bread flour

259 mls water

1 tablespoon dried milk powder

1 oz unsalted butter

1 tablespoon demerara sugar

1 tsp salt

1 tsp active instant yeast

Then I added the dough ingredients to the biga in a large bowl and proceeded to mix and knead until I had a silky dough. 

I let it rise for an hour. Then, I knocked it back and shaped it for a large 10 inch round bread tin. 

I have to admit that I wasn't sure how much it would expand, so I gave it lots of room. 

After an hour, it had risen again. I dusted it with flour and baked it in a pre-heated oven at 180⁰C for 35 minutes. 

The I let it cool on a rack. 

It's lovely. 


and so soft inside....


Very happy baking.....eventually! 

Comments

Popular Posts