Multigrain bread - "Mon Pain Quotidien"














Welcome to another step-by-step recipe from BreadClub20. Why not drop by our main Facebook page by clicking here.... If you like what you see and enjoy the recipe, we hope you go on to join us by 'Liking' and 'Subscribing'.

My daily bread. 

I bake this on a regular basis, as 1lb or 2lb loaves or as baps / rolls. 

It's a regular bake - it never fails, honestly. 

Today, I'm baking a DOUBLE MIX which will give me 6 x 1lb loaves. 

Here's the ingredients for a SINGLE  mix. This is enough for 3 x 1lb loaves or a 2lb loaf + 1lb loaf or 8 baps. 

I use one pound loaf tins ( 3 per 500 gm mix) that I bought over the internet about five years ago. They're well worn and absolutely non-stick by now. However, I always spray them inside with olive oil and wipe them round with a pastry brush, just to be on the safe side. 

My usual mix uses strong white flour. However, brown flour works just as well. If you're using wholemeal flour, I'd recommend 'softening' the mix slightly by adding a proportion of strong white flour. I'd recommend 80:20 (wholemeal to white) as a minimum. The more wholemeal flour you add, the more water you'll need to achieve a good quality dough. Try to work to a 70% - 80% hydration level. You'll find a guide to hydration in the 'Your guide to the recipes' section on the left of the home page. 

INGREDIENTS (for 3 x 1lb loaves) : 70% hydration

500 gms of strong white flour (or 350 gms of strong white to 150 gms of wholemeal flour)

380 ml of cool water (if I'm using a white / wholemeal blend, I usually increase the water to 390 ml, that's 78% hydration)

2 tablespoon dried milk

1 oz unsalted butter

1 tablespoon dark muscovado sugar

1 teaspoon sea salt

1 teaspoon instant yeast

-----------------------------------------------

The additional ingredients below makes a seed mix that I add to the basic 500 gm loaf mixture. Obviously, they are optional, but it makes the bread more nutritious and wholesome. 

2 tablespoon sunflower seeds

1 tablespoon pumpkin seeds

1 tablespoon chia seeds

1 tablespoon brown linseed

1 tablespoon black sesame

1 tablespoon white sesame

-----------------------------------------------

METHOD

Add the water, salt, milk, butter, sugar and optional seeds to the bowl (or to the pan if you are using a machine). Add the yeast.

If you are mixing by hand, bring them together and then knead on a floured surface until the dough reaches a smooth consistency. Kneading should take about fifteen minutes so the gluten strands can start developing. Place it in a floured bowl and put it to rest (the first prove) until it has doubled in size. Try and find a warm, but not too hot, spot where the temperature is between 20 - 25 degrees C. 

If you are using a machine, pick a basic dough programme (mine takes about 2hrs 20 minutes). The programme will mix, knead and prove over the period of the programme. 

At the end of the mixing or machine cycle, your dough should look this this....remember this is the size of one mix (approximately 1.07 kg). I've prepared two of these at the same time. 



As I'm making a double mix - I've lightly oiled six 1lb loaf tins. Then I knock each of the dough mixes back and divide it equally between three tins. Roughly speaking, and because my dough always contains multiseeds, each mix weighs in at 1078 gms and each portion (of three) weighs in at approximately 359 gms. So, I end up with 6 x 359 gm portions out of a total double mix of 2.15 kg of dough. 

Once the dough is in the tins, it goes into a warm place for 50 - 60 mins until it has doubled in size (second prove). I cover the tins with a sheet of parchment paper to stop the top of the dough from drying out. 

At the end of the second prove, I preheat the oven to 190 degrees C and bake the bread for 30 minutes. 

At the end of the 30 minutes, I turn the loaves out onto a cooling rack. 


The bread is bagged up when cold and heads out to the freezer. It'll keep far longer than it has to. 

This is such a versatile bread. It makes equally lovely sandwiches and toast. 

Happy baking.....





Comments

Popular Posts